Friday, January 9, 2015

The Art of Characters: Protagonists





Welcome to Stori Tori's Blog's first ever link-up! I've wanted to do one since I've been participating in Paperfury's since they seem so much fun.

This link-up focuses on your characters from the outside and how your character's description can tell a lot about your character. I'm hoping this will not only help solely writers, but also writers/artists to draw their characters more. I'm going to do a new link-up on the second Friday of the month for three months, and if I get a lot of participation (which I'm guessing will signal you all like it), I'll continue. I hope you enjoy it and you learn some more about your characters!

How to Do It:

Step 1.) Find three pieces of art that describe your character. This can be your own drawings or cosplays or sculptures, someone else's art (with their permission and/or crediting of course), celebrity pictures, or a combination of the three.

Step 2.) Answer the questions below about your character's description and link back to this blog so if anyone else wants to participate they know where to go.

Step 3.) Put it all in a blog post or deviantART journal.

Step 4.) When you post it, link up here and you're done!

The Questions:

1.) What does your character's eye, skin, and hair color tell about him/her?

2.) What does your character's hairstyle tell about him/her?

3.) What does your character's default outfit tell about him/her?

4.) Does he/she have an object(s) he/she carries around a lot?

5.) Does he/she have any particular scars or birthmarks?

6.) Does he/she have any piercings or tattoos?

7.) How does he/she carry themselves? Shoulders back? Eye contact? Eyes down? Slumped shoulders?

8.) What is his/her default expression? Smiling? Frowning? Solemn?

9.) Does he/she wear make-up or face paint?

10.) Does his/her physical appearance change at any time? For example: If they have a power do their eyes glow or hair turn blue?


The Link-Up:





If you liked this post, come back every Saturday for more writing advice, character interviews, book reviews and more! On Sundays I have Soundtrack Sundays where I post a new score piece, Tuesdays are Tea Tuesdays with tea reviews, Wednesdays I have Wonderful Word Wednesdays where I post a new vocabulary word, and Fridays are Fan Fridays where I post tags and other goodies. To help support my dream to be an author follow this blog, like me on Facebook, watch me on deviantART, and follow me on Pinterest and Twitter. If you want to know more about my books check out them out here. Thank you! :)


6 comments:

  1. Did it! So much fun!!!
    http://the-drawingboard.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-art-of-characters-linkup.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm going to read it. ^ ^ Thank you so much for participating. Did the link-up widget not work for you? This is my first time doing one so I'm making sure I don't have any kinks. ^ ^'

      Delete
  2. If you did multiple sketches of the same character on one piece of art, can it count for two, or even three? I'm a bit worried about accidentally using copyrighted photos on my blog and I only did one reference sheet for my MC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. :) The number is to keep the pictures concise and/or push the person to find/make three bits of artwork. Either or. It's to challenge.

      Delete